Learning & Development
Intersect currently offers courses on the following topics:
- Introduction to Unix and HPC (HPC for Wimps): A two day introduction to our HPC computing facilities. A basic familiarity with Windows or Mac OS X is assumed. For further information please consult the course outline.
- Intermediate HPC (HPC for the CLUEy): A half day introduction to our HPC computing facilities for those with Command Line Unix Experience.
- Parallel Programming for HPC (Advanced): An introduction to Parallel Programming in C or Fortran (necessity, paradigms).
- Introduction to Google Refine: A half day introduction to using this powerful tool for data cleaning and exploration.
- Introduction to Machine Learning: a half day workshop comprising a series of hands-on exercises and slide-based background material.
- Data Visualisation with Google Fusion Tables: a two hour workshop in which participants use Google Fusion Tables to create a "heat map" of NSW highlighting crime hotspots by drawing together geospatial data containing Local Government Area (LGA) boundaries and a separate dataset containing statistics on crime in NSW.
The following sessions are scheduled to take place in the near future:
- 29 – 30 May 2013: "Introduction to Unix and HPC" at the Intersect Offices. Please register at http://intersect-09.eventbrite.com.au.
- 9 - 10 July 2013: "Introduction to Unix and HPC" at UTS. Please register at http://intersect-12.eventbrite.com.au.
- 11 July 2013: "Google Refine" at UTS. Please register at http://intersect-10.eventbrite.com.au.
- 8 - 9 August 2013: "Introduction to Unix and HPC" at Intersect Offices. Please register at http://intersect-11.eventbrite.com.au.
Access to Course Resources
You can download our course resources for self-paced study, ongoing reference, or to help determine if a course is right for you.
We value any suggestions regarding courses that Intersect, as the eResearch services organisation in NSW, could offer the research community. Please provide feedback and suggestions by emailing email@example.com.
If you have attended one of our courses, we would love to hear what you thought of it. A brief survey can be found here